Sunday, April 22, 2018

Ellen says she's ashamed as a white person. I'm not ashamed as a white person...

So, in thinking about this idea that white people should feel ashamed, I don't feel ashamed due to my racial identity.  I just don't feel that. I absolutely think race based discrepancies and racism need to be wiped out, but I would never do these things to a person, and I don't think the majority of white people would. Way too many, but not enough to simply refer to "white people" as acting that way.

Further, I feel like it lumps me into the wrong group.  I simply do not associate myself with racists.  Period. And I feel like... looking at myself as a white person who is part of that group would be just as bad as if I judged anyone else only by the color of their skin. Rascist are assholes.  I'm not an asshole just because some other asshole has the same color of skin that I do.

So I think when someone like Ellen claims to be ashamed based on their own skin color we need to be real careful that they are not simply falling in line with their political identity, same as many Fox news viewers.  We get it Ellen.  You are liberal.  But don't act the stereotype at the detriment of actual progress.

If we want to improve race relations one thing required will be to stop seeing all actions through a lens of race. Racists are assholes. Racists... can be any color.  And Racists should be blamed as a group for racism.  I'm just a white guy.  And I'm on the side of and will fight for any victim of racism.  But I'm not blaming myself for being a white guy because some other white guy is an asshole.  I think that line of thought might actually be racist and perpetuate exactly the focus on race that I hope becomes moot and inconsequential some day...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ellen_us_5adb6f8ae4b009869bf9e01f

No comments: